Friday, November 2, 2007

Sedaris Blog

I read "The Girl Next Door." I don't know what he's "trying to do" with this story but I definately enjoyed it. It's funny because it's relevant - we all have examples of dealing with white trash. It really reminded me of a house I had when I had a paper route in middle school: a poor family lived there and everytime I collected payment I had to deal with the same shit he had to with his neighbors. I think Sedaris is good at illustrating that feeling you can have when you have pity and anger at the same time.

Anyway, this story has all the hallmarks of the author: simple language, dry wit, strange characters, etc. One element that stood out to me was how he uses the mother as a kind of plot device. Her dialogue appears even when she's not present and the judgmental things she says in response to what happens is really interesting. She's like the angel (or devil) on his shoulder.

In response to the question about how Sedaris compares to the other two writers. I don't really see the similarity to Nathaniel West that other people bring up, but he does have somethings in common with Twain. The both have a kind of conversational tone but Sedaris never reaches Twain's bitter cynicism.

1 comment:

Kristian said...

Since we're in academia, where we have to read into everything, (especially in a literature class) what a writer is "trying to do" with a story or essay does make sense, Andrew.

You mention the use of the mother as a plot device. I like that. You're talking about Sedaris' mother, right? David was (and still is) close to his family. They're such a part of who he is, and they are the life of the stories as well. It's great to show a parent's influence--and I like how you refer to her as the devil or angel on his shoulder. We can't escape the influence of our parents. If we have troubles, or situations like this one, maybe you turn to your parents for help--or suggestions/advice. Good or bad. We listen. And we go back and forth on what is right and what is wrong. It's hard to have to admit a parent is wrong sometimes.

You've compared him to Twain and West unintentionally in your second paragraph. You can say both Twain and West use 'simple language'. You can say Twain uses 'dry wit'. There are strange characters in both Twain and West.