Friday, October 5, 2007

Gwendolen's Diary Entry

Dear Diary,

I have learned so much recently, and in a single day no less! Ernest, the man with whom I have agreed to be married, was playing a trick on me. First, it has developed that he is in fact my cousin, but this is not the most important fact. He had lied to me by claiming the name of Ernest, but in a strange way that lie has turned out to be the truth.

I'm so happy about that, though I don't know why. The name Ernest is so exciting that I'm quite sure it is what makes me love him. But is this not odd? I don't know. Perhaps the truth is that I've met so many "Johns" and "Jacks", and I've been looking for someone new. But to be honest, he hardly seems all that different from the other gentlemen I've known... I'm wondering if I'm making a terrible mistake...

1 comment:

Kristian said...

Good job, Andrew. I like how in the beginning she sounds like old shallow Gwen. It's not important that she's marrying her cousin and that he lied, but didn't lie because his name actually is Ernest.

I like how it begins to turn in the second paragraph. Now she's starting to question it all. It's 'odd' that she'd marry or fall in love with someone because of their name. Maybe it is all the "Johns" and "Jacks" she failed with prior. There's a sad realization at the end that maybe they're all the same and that she's making a 'terrible mistake'.

Good work.