Friday, September 14, 2007

Little Murders

The clips of this film we watched in class had me quite interested. Liked we talked about, the story of Little Murders touched on the theme of "urban craziness" or whatever you want to call it. The book Fight Club, and the movies Se7en and Taxi Driver, all express a similar sentiment: our modern, city-living mentality is so chaotic you have to be a little funny in the head just to survive. Being a comic book geek, it reminds me of something the Joker once said: "If I weren't crazy, I'd be insane!"

I want to watch the entire movie, because this particular theme really interests me. I'm not sure why, but if I had to guess I'd say because we're reminded of terrible things everyday: you can't turn on the TV or get on the internet without hearing about the latest clusterfuck of disease, war, or political bullshit. It's the reason so many people are apathetic. That's why humor is so important -- as they say, laughter is the best medicine!

On a general note, I think it would be best if we all added each other to our blog rolls so it will be easier to see what we're all writing. Not that I know how to do that, mind you.

1 comment:

Kristian said...

Fight Club is another good example of a satire(like Little Murders)that shows the falling apart/the chaos of living in a city. The modern age and all its progress in technology and the like has made it difficult for human beings. It's been years since I've seen the film version of Fight Club. I remember loving the beginning and how it set up how mundane (and empty) his (Edward Norton's character) life is. He has the money and all this stuff but what else is there? It may even be worth exploring the satire of male behavior/masculinity in that film/book.

I think American Psycho (the film) has moments that work. Such as making fun of the 80's mentality of making money and the materialism. The 80's was all about status. And it's funny how we attach status to articles of clothing (the name brand). Christian Bale's portrayal of Bateman is a parody of the 'yuppie'.

I wonder what's next when it comes to satire. Our society is becoming more and more disconnected in real life situations, and more and more connected via the internet and through virtual worlds like Second Life. Second Life is scary to me, in that people are recreating themselves in computer form. There you can be what you want to be and look a certain way. Freaks me out a little. Our world is getting stranger by the day. I can't help but think: what's next?

And yes, it would help if everybody had a blog roll. I'll bring it up in class.